January 2016 to Present: Capgemini UK, Floor 7, Venus Building, Trafford Quays, Manchester. M41 7HA
Position: Engagement Manager (A8), Custom Bespoke Solutions –
Certified Engagement Manager, Registered PRINCE2 Practitioner, Agile SCRUM and ITIL
I am an experienced and conscientious Senior Project Manager (client facing), who joined Capgemini in early 2016 having worked at ascending points in software development lifecycle projects for over 28 years. I have impressive credentials in the delivery of highly complex digital projects in challenging conditions and won an award for the postal services delivery below. I have held senior Project Management positions and helped to drive significant business transformation through IT systems and service delivery using both Agile and Waterfall approaches in accordance with ISO QA directives. I have a broad management and IT background and so interface well with both technical and business stakeholders, on-site, internally and off-shore (India). Capgemini projects to date include:
UK Utility, Accounting & Recruitment Industries (MuleSoft Middleware & Integration Projects – Anypoint Platform – 2018 to present) – Since October 2018, augmented into MuleSoft (a Salesforce company) as a Delivery Manager managing a number of accounts across the UK, for the delivery of the Anypoint Platform. The Delivery Manager role is much like a Programme Manager role and typically links with the client’s Project /Programme Manager role to ensure that any project plans align to the MuleSoft Outcome Based Delivery (OBD) framework to achieve the agreed business outcomes. The OBD framework provides a structured set of work streams, tasks and sub-tasks for the client to become fully enabled in an API-led project delivery as part of the business operating model. It also provides best practice guidance on the required business and IT culture modifications and governance to support the correct API ownership approach. The 3 OBD streams are; 1) Business Outcomes, 2) Technology Delivery and 3) Org Enablement. The Delivery Manager manages up to 5 UK accounts, each worth between £100K to £200K each for MuleSoft professional services.
The MuleSoft mission is to help organizations change and innovate faster by making it easy to connect the world’s applications, data, and devices. Companies like Spotify, McDonald’s, and Unilever rely on MuleSoft to stay agile, deliver faster, and make the most of their IT investment with API-led connectivity. Task / role responsibilities include;
• Complete MuleSoft product training and become an expert in the Outcome Based Delivery methodology (OBD)
• Learn MuleSoft Services team internal process as it relates to booking and revenue recognition, staffing and resourcing, partner engagement, and engagement kick-off and closure
• Own and manage at least one billable account in a solo capacity; take a leadership role in staffing accounts for extensions and subsequent SOWs
• Continue to enhance and expand MuleSoft Outcome Based Delivery methodology
• Work with Services leadership to help build out MuleSoft practice
• Become a key stakeholder in MuleSoft accounts renewal and add-on process through continuous collaboration with Engagement Managers, Customer Success, and Account Executives
• Ability to manage a portfolio – time management, prioritization, setting customer expectations
• Engagement Planning – technical understanding, strategic mindset, translating MuleSoft vision (API-Led) into a tangible project plan
• Engagement Execution – identify and mitigate risk, status reporting, and operations
• Post Engagement – ability to identify renewal and add-on opportunities, using lessons learned and looping them back into our internal best practices
• Deep program management experience managing multiple projects varying in size at one time; PMP / Scrum master certifications preferred
• Track record of executing projects from start to finish with a strong prioritization and time management POV
• Technical understanding to evangelize the MuleSoft vision and implement it into project / account planning
• Track record of reviving high pressure / at-risk accounts
• Highly collaborative with Services sellers, architects, consultants, third-party partners, and customers
• Generalist attributes between technology, consulting, project delivery, and internal practice building
• Familiar with NetSuite OpenAir or similar PSA tool
• Familiar with both Agile and Waterfall methodology
Automotive Industry – In October 2017, was assigned as an Engagement Manager to manage both a £430K Digital Readiness project and a £1M+ Customer Portal/ New Car Online Sales project at a large car manufacturing company. The former project was to both performance test and then upgrade the previously delivered ‘Information Fabric’ Enterprise Integration platform product stacks. This platform allows for the rapid deployment of APIs to unlock the data in backend systems thus enabling new, digital applications. Both projects ran as Agile projects with all SCRUM ceremonies enabled for both Capgemini and client stakeholder management and responsibility for full project tracking, financial forecasting, GDPR compliance and reporting. Both projects were run out of the Capgemini Aston – Agile Delivery Centre (ADC) with on-site stakeholder engagement.
Serco – In May 2017, was assigned to a £400K telephony project. This was to set-up a CCaaS call centre campaign for Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) with the first client use of a new, automated, programmatic dialler solution requiring integration with the client’s own Azure deployed, CRM application and multiple supplier interfaces for data transfer. The PM role required the management and tracking of the project budget for IT&S (IT Shared Services), risks, issues, plan, supplier management, workshop and checkpoint hosting and status reports. Also acting as the IT&S interface, working with the Business Team.
Aerospace & Defence – In January 2017, was assigned to a client-side, portfolio management role (SPL – Senior Project Lead), tracking project budgets and corresponding supplier deliverables. This SPL role focussed on two projects of £1.3M, tracking through 8 Gates with Gate 3 being the solution designs and costs for a Go/No-Go for continuing with software development. This client is steeped in heavy governance with a number of strict Gates for project delivery for which the SPL role monitors and tracks supplier delivery ensuring timelines are met and that airline’s money set aside after board agreement is not exceeded without prior agreement and good reason. The SPL reports to the Business PM and the Programme Lead and updates stakeholders at various steering boards (supported typically by SPL authored project packs summarising current position/spend/risk). The SPL also has to submit financial spreadsheets monthly and also provide project reports at regular intervals on project status, along with RAID logs. The SPL also overlooks PO, CR and SoW approval as part of project delivery amongst other duties.
Postal Services Company– in May 2016, was assigned as a PM on an award winning £4.3M (90 Capgemini staff) migration project to migrate (between 2 Data Centres) 1100+ interfaces that integrate various internal applications & external trading customers. The majority of the integrations were through file transmission using UNIX shell scripts and about 150 interfaces process through IBM ESB. The customer’s vision was to both migrate all interfaces and upgrade some of the outdated software to new product / to a stable version of the product before peak trading and the change freeze by Oct end. Tasks included; production of the internal view, forecast modelling, CCP input, full org charts, deliverables tracking, EM Portal reporting & planning.
Aerospace & Defence – On joining Capgemini in Jan 2016, was assigned as the Project Manager for a UK-wide Air Traffic organisation, overseeing the project delivery for new Apple iOS Apps presenting both sensitive internal (military) and public facing views of the current airspace in near real-time. Running as an Agile project with all SCRUM ceremonies enabled for both Capgemini and client stakeholder management and responsible for full project tracking, financial forecasting and reporting. Also responsible for client engagement and on-site workshops to progress the project to plan.
Course: Advanced Engagement Management – EM Certification Level 2
(Capgemini – UK)
Key responsibilities for the Engagement Manager (EM) include:
• Deliver against the contract.
• Overall responsibility for project success, achieving project targets e.g. margin (as defined in the Internal View) and delivering to agreed timescales.
• Management of the project through its complete lifecycle and multiple aspects, as described in the UPM phases and streams.
• Author and owner of the Project Governance Plan (PGP) and responsible for compliance to its contents.
• Clear and concise status and project reporting, both internal and external, as defined in the PGP.
• Management of the monthly financial reporting process.
• Work together with the Offshore Project Manager in order to realize the common project targets.
• Management and motivation of the project team, including setting of objectives for direct reports and timely completion of their assignment reviews.
• Communications to stakeholders and teams about all relevant aspects of the project, in line with contract, project baseline, project status and client feedback.
• Ensure compliance with UPM (Group or regional version) and any local quality management system.
• Ensure the group mandated tools are utilised.
• Meet or exceed client expectations (using client satisfaction process).
• Identify and follow-up on opportunities for additional business.
• Achieve the Capgemini EM certification level appropriate to level of experience.
The EM should deliver the project against contracts, meet (or exceed) client expectations, achieve project targets, identify and work on opportunities for additional business, and should ensure that these fundamentals are followed on the project.
Usually the EM will report to the Delivery Manager or a Programme Manager if the project is part of a larger programme.
Feedback taken from LinkedIn at: https://www.linkedin.com/in/markwhitfield
Technical Architect at MuleSoft
February 4, 2020, MARK worked with Ettore in the same group
I worked with Mark on a three-month-long MuleSoft Catalyst Launch project for a UK customer. In his capacity as engagement manager, Mark earned my trust after very few interactions and that is thanks to his humbleness and honesty. Mark brought structure to the delivery of the project and managed the customer expectations with the right tact and empathy. I would recommend Mark as a colleague and would be great to share other work experiences with him.
Software Developer at Capgemini
January 28, 2020, Callum reported directly to MARK
Mark Whitfield was my project manager, he provided an excellent barrier between us (developers) and a difficult client. Mark have us adequate space to operate how we wished to whilst ensuring that we followed the agile principles that we set out to follow. Mark was an excellent project manager and I would recommend working with him.
Tomás Rabazo Márquez
Senior Integration Consultant, Chakray
November 12, 2019, MARK worked with Tomás in the same group
Mark was the Project Manager for Capgemini. I was working as head of Integration development. Our customer was JLR, the project was a big one with lots of resources not only on customer side but also on ours. Mark was able to do a good planning, with the correct resources, on time delivery and with good relationship between stakeholders. I was having daily Scrum meetings with my team and reporting to Mark. On that way Mark was having a real scenario of the project on a daily basis and all his good decisions where based on that accuracy information.
Larry Rider Bou
Integration Solutions Architect en Chakray Consulting
November 11, 2019, MARK worked with Larry in the same group
I have worked with Mark on several complex projects with many suppliers involved and I can assure you that he is an excellent project manager, capable of transferring knowledge among all the parties involved in the project, and therefore ensuring a successful completion of the project.
Integration Architect at Mars
November 7, 2019, Chandan reported directly to MARK
We rarely get a chance to work with Project Managers like Mark. It was a pleasure working with him for MuleSoft Professional Services. Even though he had to share his time across multiple MuleSoft Engagements, he managed our engagement with ease and clam, and he was always reachable. However tense a meeting/conversation is, Mark made sure everyone is clam and leaves with a smile. As a manager, Mark earns my highest recommendation.
Senior Technical Consultant at MuleSoft, a Salesforce company
October 23, 2019, Luke reported directly to MARK
I worked very closely with Mark for a number of months on an engagement Mark was leading and I have nothing but good things to say about his delivery style. Mark was always remarkably thorough – something which the client pointed out on a regular basis, and he also remained admirably calm in a highly pressurized environment. I never felt micromanaged by Mark – he always gave me the time and space necessary to allow me to deliver and it was clear he trusted me. Mark is a great guy and very easy to get on with. I really enjoyed working with him and would gladly do so again in the future.
Bhaskar Srikanth Naidu
Mulesoft Architect at McKesson
June 13, 2019, Bhaskar Srikanth worked with MARK but at different companies
As a Senior Architect/Consultant, I worked with Mark on a couple of key and complex accounts during his time at MuleSoft as a Delivery Manager. Mark was very proactive and collaborative in maintaining a very good and optimised pulse of activity in ensuring software deliveries and enablement to the client were tracked and reported and kept in-line with expectations. MuleSoft employ an Outcome Based Delivery (OBD) approach with a view to setting up a client-side Centre for Enablement (C4E). Mark was very thorough in tracking to this approach to delivery but also adaptable to client needs as appropriate. As a Senior Consultant at MuleSoft, I was always appreciative of Mark’s soft skills and friendly approach and also his ability to keep our approach aligned with the plan so as to avoid unnecessary distractions and maintain the agreed priorities for the statement of work. I would be happy to recommend Mark going forward and hope we can work together again in the future. Thanks for all the support.
Regional Senior Manager, Customer Success UK&I at MuleSoft
June 10, 2019, MARK worked with Harry in the same group
As a Customer Success Manager it was always a great experience working with Mark as customers loved him. His was extremely detailed oriented and understood the often complex needs of the customers. Mark never became flustered in high pressure situations and always delivered to the often high expectations of the customer. Mark was a brilliant asset to the MuleSoft professional services team and I will miss working with him. I sincerely hope we get the chance to work together again the the future.
Delivery Principal at MuleSoft, a Salesforce Company
June 7, 2019, MARK worked with Dorian in the same group
I’ve had the pleasure of working with Mark, when he delivered MuleSoft engagements on a secondment from Cap Gemini. He landed on new technology, new way of working and yet ramped up pretty quickly. He was very thorough, prompt, detailed and able to handle several engagements at the same time, under increasing customer pressure. I really enjoyed working with Mark and would recommend him to anyone who needs a delivery professional for demanding customers.